What is a volunteer Silicosis Mentor?
‘Lived experience goes beyond insight’ (Bennett 2013).
A Silicosis Mentor is someone who will take on an advisory and partnership role providing a client, carer and community perspective to the Silicosis Support Network. The aim is to ensure person-centred and lived experience-informed decision-making, service planning and improvements. It is important that we begin as we intend to proceed, in partnership with you. This is the best way to align support with people affected by silicosis, their families and their work mates.
The insights and observations of a Silicosis Mentor will come from their lived experience and they will ideally:
- Be interested in creating change around how silicosis support is offered and are solution focused.
- Have primary experience with a silicosis diagnosis or are involved as a carer/partner/family member of a person affected by a silicosis diagnosis.
- Be potential participants in the Silicosis Support Network or other silicosis forums.
- Come from all walks of life with varied health, work and life experiences.
What can a Silicosis Mentor do when they partner with Silicosis Support Network?
- Keep people affected by silicosis at the forefront of all our discussions.
- Raise the views of people affected by silicosis, ask questions, share their stories to help develop a user-friendly and supportive website.
- Participate in focus groups to identify the gaps.
- Connect and get involved as a peer support in the support groups.
- Complete review and feedback forms to assist Silicosis Support Network to assess and provide better services going forward.
We believe that there is no better way to effect change than the coming together of community partners to exchange views, identify opportunities for change and create hope.
Please consider becoming a Silicosis Mentor by offering your lived experience, wisdom and common sense to us here at the Silicosis Support Network.
We value your voice.
For further information please contact Judith Thomson at email@example.com
Silicosis Support Network – Social Worker (BSW AASW Accredited).