Are you missing out on cheap taxis? Find out how to save on travel
People with Asbestosis and Mesothelioma are possibly missing out on hundreds of dollars a year in travel savings because many are not aware they could be eligible for the Queensland Taxi Subsidy Scheme (TSS).
Under TSS, eligible taxi users have half their standard fares to a maximum of $25 per trip reimbursed by the Queensland Government for any journey within Australia. This means TSS members could pay, for example, only $5 of a $10 fare, $25 of a $50 fare, or $45 of a $70 fare.
A Queensland Transport and Main Roads (TMR) spokesperson said people with Asbestosis and Mesothelioma could be eligible if they met the criteria.
However, there was confusion in the community over who was and who was not eligible. He urged ARDSSQ members to visit the TMR website at www.qld.gov.au/disability/out-and-about/taxi-subsidy/ to review conditions and download an application form.
To be eligible, taxi users must be permanent Queensland residents and have a disability or illness that meets one of six eligibility criteria. The relevant criteria for people with Asbestosis and Mesothelioma are:
- Has a physical disability or other medical condition that restricts the person from walking unassisted and without a rest for 50 metres or less and
- makes the person permanently dependent on a walking aid; OR
- prevents the person from ascending or descending three steps without assistance; OR
- has resulted in a history of frequent falls; OR
- is a condition that is an advanced cardiovascular, respiratory or neurological disorder; OR
- the person to ordinarily carry equipment which, when carried, restricts the person from walking, unassisted and without rest for 50 metres or less; OR
- someone else to ordinarily carry or administer treatment equipment for the person.
TSS was introduced in Queensland in 1987 to provide an affordable and accessible transport option for people who have profound difficulties using other modes of public passenger transport because of a disability or illness.
Membership is not means tested and members are allowed unlimited taxi trips and subsidies. Members are also entitled to a maximum of 20 interstate travel vouchers a year for taxi travel in any other Australian state or territory.